Friday, September 14, 2012

Ego

Ego is the greatest aspect of the mind. But greater than ego is envy. Do not be envious of anybody. If he drives a Mercedes, good for him. If he drives a Ferrari, good for him. But don't be envious of him. Many of us are envious of other people, their progress and success. We shouldn't be. Just accept life. In the simplest form, it comes to you, but because you're looking for life in extravagance, not in simplicity, you lose it. Life can never appear to you in extravagance, only in simplicity. And when you know your soul (your atma), simplicity becomes your foundation, your wall, roof, windows and doors. But if you don't know, then we decorate the walls, roof, windows, and everything else.

Live in that simplicity. I'm not saying you must not have good homes – I'm talking about the home you carry around you: your body. The Bible says the “Kingdom of God is within”. Don't destroy the temple with your mind. Just enjoy it and see how good you feel.

You know, Kumaresen paid a lot of money to travel with me. And when we landed in India he had a viral infection from the water and was in bed for four days. But we carried on. From Chennai we went to Arunachala, then to Bangalore, and he slept while I did what I had to do. We went to Appaji and I insisted he come with me. He slept all the way to Bangalore. We reached Katmandu and he slept. When he was okay I said, “You spent so much money and wasted your trip”. What he said to me was, “I'm sure God didn't want me to see all those places – there was a reason behind it”. As soon as he saw Mount Kailash he was fine, and the journey after that was excellent. He said to me, “Maybe Kailash is where I needed to go”.

There was no sorrow or sadness that he had spent so much money and couldn't do everything because he was sick. Is he successful? Yes. Why? He envies nobody. His neighbour can be richer than him and it doesn't bother him, but it bothers us. If I drive a BMW or Mercedes tomorrow, none of you will come back because you think I took your money to buy it. See how the mind works. But you don't think that you didn't give me a cent. You'll say, “Guru took all the temple money”.