Sunday, July 20, 2014

Guru's 62nd birthday speech

In the radiance of Babaji, the light of my gurus and the glory of Christ, good evening, prem namaskara, vanakam.

Most of you know my feeling on birthdays. Generally, I say, "What's the big deal?" By the time you're over sixty, there should be a cease and desist order against them. Birthdays are not unusual. Everyone has them and at the same rate as everyone else: once a year, except for those born on a leap year. They happen whether you want them to or not. Believe me, I know. I've had quite a few and, looking around this marquee, I can see it's the same for many of you as well.

This evening I have added another score to the scoreboard of life. I have survived another year with all that's happened - its problems, blessing and then, of course, all of you! Today we are gathered here today to celebrate my birthday and, quite honestly, it's a bit like being at the world cup finals. I see all this excitement. In other words, all the supporters are gathered here to cheer me on to the next year of success, joy and experiences.

Speech-making is a bit like prospecting for oil. If you don't strike it in the first few minutes, stop boring. I hope I've struck oil. I am told the best speech-makers follow three simple rules: stand up, speak up, then very quickly shut up. Tonight I'm going to stick to that advice. Remember that I have an amazing brain. It never stops functioning from the time I was born until the moment I stand up to make a speech. Well, today we don't need the brain. We are reliant on artificial intelligence. Actually, it's wonderful. So today I told my computer that it is my birthday and it said that I need an upgrade. So I took the advice, I went to Dischem and bought myself a stack of vitamin tablets.

Yesterday I met an old friend and invited him to the party. He accepted the invite and asked for my address. I gave him the address and advised him to push the bell with his elbow. He gave me a strange look and asked me if I thought he had arthritis. I said, "Well, you won't be empty-handed!".

Really, at this age I don't feel old. To be frank, I don't feel anything. No pain, no joy, no sadness, no happiness, no likes, no dislikes, and no anger (for being wronged), and no excitement. I have never turned older by the years, but newer every year. Keep in mind: the older the fiddle, the sweeter the tune. In youth we learn and in old age we understand. The greatest comfort of my old age, and that which gives me the highest satisfaction, is the pleasing remembrance of the many benefits and friendly advices I have given the ones I love: you, you, you, and all of you.

Just the other day at the airport I met a man. He looked old. We got to talking and I was giving him some spiritual advice. He said, "What do you know about spirituality? You're just a nipper!" So I said, "How old are you?" He said "58". I looked up and said, "Muruga! Thank you!" He said, "Who's that?" I said, "My God". Then he asked me, "Why are you thanking him?" and I replied, "Because he keeps me looking younger than 58". Then he asked me how old I was and I told him, "Never mind!".

At 62 I am at that age when my back goes out more than I do. I understand we are like grapes: some of us turn to vinegar on the way while others improve with age and turn to wine. I have turned to neither because I find the older I get, the more power I seem to have to help all of you. I seem to be more like a snowball: the further I'm rolled, the more I gain and become stronger. I understand that I can't help getting older, but I don't have to be older.

When I was 20 years old my will reigned; when I was 30, my wit; at 40, my judgment; and now, at 60 plus, my experience reigns. Remember, the first 40 years of life give us the text and the next 30 years is only the commentary.

So how do you know you're getting older? When you stoop to tie your shoelaces, you wonder what else you can do while you're down there.

I want to conclude by saying that, firstly, my personality stays with me wherever I am, and my attitude depends on the people in front of me. So, tonight I have a good attitude. And, secondly, life is full of complications - even when you are born there is a string attached to you.

With that I say God bless and thank you. Enjoy this evening!

Hari Om.