Friday, June 13, 2014

Accumulation


To experience God on this journey you have to be somewhat out of touch with the material plane. When I say ‘out of touch’ I mean that the material plane should not have any effect on you. That means if you lose R10 you shouldn’t be sad. And if you gain R10 you shouldn’t be happy. It shouldn’t affect you.

Accumulation is the worst thing on this journey. Once you start accumulating and don’t know when to stop, then you’re going to miss the journey. What will happen is that one of the faculties of the mind – greed – will take over and you’ll just want more and more and more, and you won’t stop. Every time you strive for that you’re just getting closer to your grave. The grave is only six feet deep and about a metre wide. You can’t take all your possessions with you. The grave is only made for that box. You can take anything more than that box. Oh, you can take your cellphone. We fail to understand that, and when we leave this body we take so many problems with us. It’s the same with cremation. The furnace is only 3m x 3m x 3m, not more than that. How much can you fit in there? Not much. So again you’re going to leave everything behind. And you also leave behind problems. The children will fight. Mother- and daughter-in-law will fight; they will take each other to court. It is MY son’s, MY daughter’s, and you have all the other problems that come with it, but not if you follow a spiritual path.

So, we should not accumulate unnecessarily. To find the Self is enough accumulation. You’ll be practicing and practicing and eventually you’ll find the Self and when you find the Self you don’t need any more. To sustain the Self you need nothing, but to sustain this body you need retirement. Nowadays when I meditate I try to meditate so that I don’t eat too much. I meditate continuously so that for the whole day I just have 4 slices of bread, and then I meditate that I shouldn’t have any bread. Then for a couple of weeks I don’t have bread at all. I just eat curry and no rice. That is what I want because when I get old I don’t want a situation when I want something and can’t get it. I won't have cravings because I’m killing them right now. That’s what we must do. This is important for all of you. Many are on a 'seefood diet'. Whenever they see food they want to eat. They don’t know when it’s enough. We don’t know that other people have not eaten. The body has a craving and we need to meditate to reduce the craving. It’s so important that we get this journey right.

Dean asked me just now if we’re having a discourse today. These discourses aren’t for everybody. Everyone wants to go home. They are wasting my energy. I would rather talk to those people who want to listen and will digest at least one line. In an ashram we must always be open to everybody. That family who came today didn’t even know they would be sitting in a hawan. I got an instruction and did it for them. Always do what is best for whoever walks through these gates. If I’m not here you will all be here – make sure it happens and see how fulfilling it is and how fulfilled you will be. I didn’t even know when I was sitting there where I was. I only knew that my master asked me to close my eyes and I did and I was gone. I can’t really tell you what we did because we're not supposed to discuss that. But we did what was necessary. And that’s what it’s all about: being open and giving. 

Hari Om