Sunday, October 30, 2011

Be faithful to your path

When Swami Murugesu was alive, we had 5000 devotees in Sri Lanka on the day he took samadhi. And now we have barely have 800 devotees. They have all taken to other organisations.

The same thing happened in the Divine Life Society. When Swami Sahajanananda passed on, there were immediately problems in the organisation and membership dropped.Why is this happening? The answer is very simple. All these people - devotees of Swami Murugesu, Sahajananda and even Sai Baba - follow a man.

Too many of you are coming here because of me. You should be coming here because of Gayathri Ma. I don't want an internal struggle when I leave, where everyone wants to be the boss, and to be better than the other person. You must come here for my guru or for Mother Gayathri only.

I'm telling this so you can go home and think about it, and change the way you think. We are all thinking wrongly and following a man. He can only show you where to go but if tomorrow I leave this body, the numbers here will dwindle to nothing. No one will want to take instructions from anyone else.

But if you come here for one purpose – to get the energy and blessing from Divine Mother – then we won't have that problem. I'm not saying don't follow the guru. But don't make the guru the centre of everything, so that you can't function when the guru takes samadhi.

I see this sometimes when I'm away. It is not good for an organisation. Functioning should continue at the same pace no matter who is in charge.